|Image is cc licensed for reuse on wikimedia commons.|
Did you know that Google recently stopped enabling Sites to redirect or forward to other sites (such as a domain that you might have purchased)? I just noticed this today when I tried visiting my website when I wasn't logged into my account and I discovered a blank, white page. Apparently, others have been running into this same issue. I think it might have something to do with a potential security issue.
How does it work?
After doing some research, I was able to find a workaround for this. If you still want your Google Site to redirect (or forward) to your own domain, or to another site, all you have to do is check the box in your settings that will "allow embedding of your sites in other sites".
To do this, follow these simple steps:
- Login to your Google Site
- Select the "Open More Actions Menu" (gear icon)
- Select "Manage Site"
- Select the "General" tab
- Scroll down to "Security"
- Check the box that says "allow embedding of your sites in other sites"
I got this information from the following Google Product Forum:
Here's an example
If you visit my professional webpage: www.bradleylands.com you will see that the site is up and running. It was created with Google Sites and you can confirm this by scrolling down to the bottom of the page. If you had visited my website anytime during the last three weeks, you would have seen a white, blank page.
Now that you know
- If you happen to have a Google Site that redirects to a different website or domain, consider using this quick workaround to display your domain on your Google Site.
- If you ever create a Google Site in the future, keep this trick in mind if you decide to forward your site to a different website or domain.
You might also like
Did You Know? Blog Series